November 2016 Finance Report
Here be all my finances for November. I spent the entire the month living in Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife.
|Freelance web development 1||€ 873||$ 927|
|3M1K 2||€ 782||$ 831|
|Affiliate payment: Authority Hacker Pro 3||€ 235||$ 250|
|Google Adsense payment 4||€ 78||$ 83|
|VAT Refund 5||€ 42||$ 45|
|Coaching 6||€ 38||$ 40|
|Book sales (via Amazon) 7||€ 30||$ 32|
|Book sales (via ndoherty.com) 8||€ 15||$ 16|
|Total Income||€ 2,093
|Last Month||€ 1,802||$ 1,979|
I estimated $2k in income and was aiming for $3k, so did okay overall.
Food & Drink
|Eating out||€ 113||$ 120|
|Groceries||€ 222||$ 236|
|Last Month||€ 457||$ 502|
Housing & Utilities
|1 month at shared apartment in Las Palmas 10||€ 400||$ 425|
|2 weeks apartment sublet in Puerto de la Cruz 11||€ 277||$ 294|
|Last Month||€ 899||$ 987|
|International health insurance (monthly payment) 12||€ 101||$ 107|
|Last Month||€ 101||$ 111|
Travel & Transport
|Flights: Gran Canaria (LPA) to Cork (ORK) 13||€ 150||$ 159|
|Flight: Tenerife (TFN) to Gran Canaria (LPA) 14||€ 44||$ 47|
|Bus tickets in Tenerife||€ 15||$ 16|
|Taxis in Puerto de la Cruz||€ 14||$ 15|
|Total|| € 223
|| $ 237
|Last Month||€ 883||$ 970|
|Outsourcing 15||€ 477||$ 507|
|1 month at CoworkingC, Las Palmas 16||€ 150||$ 159|
|ActiveCampaign mailing list software||€ 42||$ 45|
|Dreamhost domains||€ 34||$ 36|
|Smatree SmaPole Q3 17||€ 31||$ 33|
|PayPal fees||€ 26||$ 28|
|Teamwork project management software 18||€ 23||$ 24|
|MemberMouse 19||€ 19||$ 20|
|Phone credit||€ 10||$ 11|
|Skype credit||€ 9||$ 10|
|Virtual Post Mail 20||€ 9||$ 10|
|Gumroad fees 21||€ 2||$ 2|
|Google Drive storage (100GB)||€ 2||$ 2|
|Amazon Web Services (more storage)||€ 1||$ 1|
|Last Month||€ 750||$ 824|
Gifts & Donations
|Last Month||€ 15||$ 16|
|The 22 Immutable Laws Of Marketing **** 23||€ 12||$ 13|
|How To Fly For Free 24||€ 3||$ 3|
|Last Month||€ 36||$ 40|
|Last Month||€ 7||$ 8|
|Spanish lessons 25||€ 83||$ 88|
|Schwab Trade Fees & Commissions 26||€ 25||$ 27|
|Netflix subscription||€ 10||$ 11|
|Toiletries||€ 6||$ 6|
|Beach lounger rental||€ 5||$ 5|
|Kitchen cleaning stuff||€ 3||$ 3|
|Monthly banking fee (Dutch bank)||€ 1||$ 1|
|Last Month||€ 53||$ 58|
|Business Expenses||€ 835||$ 837|
|Housing & Utilities||€ 677||$ 719|
|Food & Drink||€ 335||$ 356|
|Travel & Transport||€ 223||$ 237|
|Miscellaneous Expenses||€ 133||$ 141|
|Health Care||€ 101||$ 107|
|Books||€ 15||$ 16|
|Clothing||€ 0||$ 0|
|Gifts & Donations||€ 0||$ 0|
|Total Expenses||€ 2,319
|Last Month||€ 3,201||$ 3,515|
I was aiming to keep my expenses under $2.5k for the month. Just about made it.
|Total Income||€ 2,093
|Total Expenses||€ 2,319
The Smatree SmaPole Q3. Second time I bought one in four months. I carelessly lost the first one while hiking in Tenerife 🙁
Also, my flights home to Ireland for Christmas. Could have paid much less for them if I’d booked earlier. I was holding off thinking I could book them through the $1,600 worth of free flights I’ve accrued via credit card points, but turns out I can’t book Ryanair flights that way.
Where That Leaves Me
I had €7,343/$8,063 to my name at the end of October.
Taking into account all my November income and expenditure, and the most recent exchange rates – I have accounts in EUR, HKD and USD – my total bank and cash balances now work out to €7,336/$7,792. 27
Outlook For December
Well we’re already almost halfway through December as I’m writing this, so I have a good idea of how things will shake out. I should be able to keep expenses below $2.5k, and beat that same mark on the income front.
Thoughts? Questions? Speak up in the comments below.
Archived Finance Reports
I’ve been posting these monthly finance reports since January, 2011. You can view all my old reports via this page.
- About what I expected.<br /><br />You can find links and details for my latest web dev projects here.
- This is my premium course that teaches people how to start an online freelancing business.
- AHP is the premium training course from the guys at Authority Hacker, which I have access to and am happy to recommend because it’s amazing. Check it out if you’re interested in building a money-generating website of your own.
- This comes from the ads on my YouTube videos for the past 3 months.
- From my now-dormant business in Ireland.
- I don’t proactively seek coaching work, but occasionally people reach out and ask for it and I’m happy to oblige.
- I currently have two books for sale on Amazon:<ul><li><a href=”http://amzn.to/2aQDUxf” target=”_blank”>The Cargo Ship Diaries</a></li><li><a href=”http://amzn.to/2axMNxQ” target=”_blank”>Disrupting the Rabblement</a></li></ul>
- I also sell my <a href=”/books/cargo/” target=”_blank”>Cargo Ship Diaries</a> book direct via this website.
- Down a good bit from last month. Under €400 is what I usually aim for. Food prices are fairly average in the Canary Islands. Eating out can be expensive but I buy groceries and prepare most of my own meals.
- Coliving arrangement via CoworkingC. I won’t actually be moving in here until mid-December but paid for it in advance.
- Got a great offer on a sublet so I took it. You can see a bit of the apartment in this video.
- This will be my last month on this plan from VHI in Ireland. In December I’m switching to World Nomads travel insurance. That costs less while still giving me solid coverage.
- Flights home to Ireland for Christmas, on Ryanair. Left it a bit late to book them so not all that cheap.
- You can take the ferry from Tenerife to Gran Canaria as well but I decided to fly it since it’s faster, the price is about the same, and I have access to the business lounge at the airport :-)
- I have an assistant helping me with 3M1K and I also hire some other freelancers every now and then to help me out with various projects.
- Having had such a great experience at Coworking in the Sun in Tenerife, I’ve decided to continue doing the coworking thing in Gran Canaria :-)
- I use this to manage my freelance and personal projects. Handy for communicating with clients and contractors and keeping everything organized.
- Membership software for the 3M1K website.
- This service allows me to receive old-fashioned mail in the USA without having a physical address there. They scan any mail received and email it to me, and can also forward along any important documents to another address I specify.
- I use Gumroad to process payments for my book The Cargo Ship Diaries.
- You can see all my book recommendations and what I’m currently reading over on Goodreads. I buy many books via Amazon affiliate credit so you won’t always see my book purchases listed here.
- This one was on my to-read list for a while, finally got to it as part of the book club we have running in 3M1K.
- Haven’t read this yet, so leaving it unrated.
- These lessons are via iTalki.com. Averages out to about $9/hour. I found a great teacher in Venezuela and sticking with him for the time being. Aiming to do at least 3 hours of focused speaking practice each week.
- I bought stock for the first time. In Tesla.
- Note that these totals are never quite right, on account of the different currencies and money constantly moving around between accounts. But I couldn’t be arsed figuring it all out perfectly and the above figures are close enough so let’s roll with them.